Friday, February 25, 2011

Chapter 12



Prologue:
If you have noticed a lack in posting recently, its because I have not been able to fly for about a month. This was due to many factors, mainly my busy schedule as well as winter weather changing at last minute. But finally the day came when I could complete my long awaited cross country to Colorado. This is entitled Chapter 12 because of its length. If you read it as a chapter of a book, It might not seem so long.

Chapter 12

I was scheduled for a Tuesday afternoon-into-night flight. Planning to be wheels up by 3:30. Brett, my instructor, checked over my flightplan and signed me off and gave me the keys. At 3:00 I had my preflight complete and keys in hand; right on schedule. I fueled up the plane, did one last walk around and was off the ground by 3:30. After climbing to 4,000 ft around the traffic pattern (I had a great headwind!) I contacted flight service (FSS) and filed a flight plan. In the past I would have normally filed online using DUATS. But I have come to notice that sometimes the flightplans aren't always submitted right away and the response back from FSS is "Uh... niner hotel charley we aren't showing a flightplan to that destination.. would you like to file one now?" I have decided that from now on, its better to file one via human interaction than interaction with a machine.

After filing, I contacted Wichita Departure and got radar service to La Junta, Colorado which was my destination. After settling into cruise at 8,500 ft, I surveyed the landscape below. It was a fine sunny Kansas afternoon and I was extremely happy to be flying again! I trimmed out the airplane and took a bite out of a Chewy bar that was included in my sack supper. I glanced over at the GPS and groaned. It was showing my groundspeed was at 65 kts. Considering our 172's cruise at about 110 kts (in a no wind situation), this was a snails pace. I must have had a monster headwind. I mentally steeled myself for a long trip.

About 2 hours into the flight the wind switched to a right quartering tailwind. I know this because I was just passing Garden City KS when I noticed my crab angle was to the left and pretty big. My groundspeed had also increased to 80-90 kts fluctuating. This was good! I would now get there faster. The sun was beginning to set on the horizon by the time I was handed off to Denver Center. It was a beautiful sight! The sky turned a deep red and framed in the distance were the Rocky Mountains shooting up from the plains. I mentally kicked myself for not bringing my camera along (sorry!).

I was about 50 miles out from La Junta when a thought struck me. Its pretty late. I thought. I really hope the La Junta FBO is still open to give me fuel. I looked quickly in my AFD and noted the time. "Open from Sunrise-0000Z" Shoot! It had just closed! I quickly looked at the Lamar airport and saw that it was open for another half hour. I was coming up on it in about 20 miles, so I quickly radioed Denver center and told them my flightplan was changing. I squawked VFR and then radioed the FBO. Fortunately there was someone there to fuel me up. I can't imagine what would have happened if I wouldn't have been able to get fuel.

The approach to landing was interesting. Since the airport was at almost 5000 ft elevation, my approach speed was faster. The air is less dense at higher altitudes, so the airplane needs to go faster through the air to produce the same amount of lift. The indicated airspeed (the airspeed you read on the airspeed indicator) will always remain the same since the pitot tube is measuring ram air (that is air that is being forced into the instrument to measure airspeed). I had to make sure I stuck to reading my instruments rather than focusing on how fast I was going, otherwise I would have stalled.

I took on fuel and ate my sack supper watching the sun set over the Colorado plains. The guy at the FBO said I had been the only plane that day. Must be pretty quiet there! I didn't take to long of a break because I wanted to make sure I could do a couple stop-and-go's at Garden City on the way back. Part 141 of the FAR's (Federal Aviation Regulations) say I have to do 10 landings at a towered airport at night. I decided I would do 5 there and 5 on the next night cross country. I took off from Lamar and had a great tail wind to Garden City.

Apart from a Beechjet taking off while I was on approach, there wasn't any traffic as I started my 5 stop-and-go's. There was a wind of 19 kts 10 degrees off runway heading, and so that made it a lot more interesting. After completing them I headed back to Newton. The last 2 hour leg of the flight was uneventful.

I have decided that night flying is my favorite type of flying. Way up in the air, you are graced with the beauty of lights below and a sense of freedom. You are in your own little peaceful capsule with the soothing voices of center control to keep you company. You bond with your machine as it drones into the night, knowing that it is the steed upon which you depend. You fly in solidarity; but not really because you know there are others up there who are sharing the same experience. And that makes you feel warm inside. The only other way I can describe it is sitting next to a warm cozy fire with a blanket and a cup of hot cocoa. And after all this is complete, coming home after a six hour flight is the best feeling in the world.

1 comment:

  1. Been awaiting this post. Thanks for the excellent descriptions. Your mom's tummy did a flip flop with the fuel thingy. But also trusting your God-given thinker, as you did, and you put two and two together. Love you, son! - Mom

    ReplyDelete